Generic Aldactone (Spironolactone) is a multi-purpose pill that's most often prescribed to treat: high blood pressure, edema in patients with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and nephrotic syndrome. It is one the most trusted potassium-sparing diuretic (water pills) on the market.
Generic Aldactone may also be marketed as Abbolactone, Acelat, Aldace, Spironolactone (or the abbreviated Spiro).
Aldactone ® is a registered trademark of Pfizer Inc.
Aldactone 100mg Pills (Generic)
Aldactone 25mg Pills (Generic)
Aldactone 20mg Pills (Generic)
Interacciones de drogas
Generic Aldactone (spironolactone) is a potassium-sparing diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt and keeps your potassium levels from getting too low.
Generic Aldactone is used to diagnose or treat a condition in which you have too much aldosterone in your body. Generic Aldosterone is a hormone produced by your adrenal glands to help regulate the salt and water balance in your body.
Generic Aldactone also treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, or a kidney disorder called nephrotic syndrome. This medication is also used to treat or prevent hypokalemia (low potassium levels in the blood).
Always follow your doctor's instructions and the directions on your prescription label when taking Generic Aldactone. Tale Generic Aldactone orally with a full cup of water. Take this medicine at the same time each day. Those with a weak stomach may benefit from taking Generic Aldactone with meals. Never alter your dosage in any way without first consulting a trusted healthcare professional.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Generic Aldactone: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Generic Aldactone and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- muscle pain or weakness;
- slow, fast, or uneven heart rate;
- feeling drowsy, restless, or light-headed;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- shallow breathing;
- tremors, confusion;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious Generic Aldactone side effects may include:
- mild nausea or vomiting;
- dizziness, headache;
- gas, stomach pain; or
- skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of Generic Aldactone. Do not use salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium. These products could cause your potassium levels to get too high while you are taking Generic Aldactone.
Avoid a diet high in salt. Too much salt will cause your body to retain water and can make this medication less effective.
Generic Aldactone may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
Before using Generic Aldactone, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by Generic Aldactone.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid);
- digoxin (digitalis, Lanoxin);
- steroids such as prednisone, fluticasone (Advair), mometasone (Asmanex, Nasonex), dexamethasone (Decadron, Hexadrol) and others;
- an ACE inhibitor such as benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), fosinopril (Monopril), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), or trandolapril (Mavik); or
- an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, Naprelan, Treximet), celecoxib (Celebrex), diclofenac (Arthrotec, Cambia, Cataflam, Voltaren, Flector Patch, Pennsaid, Solareze), indomethacin (Indocin), meloxicam (Mobic), and others.
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with Generic Aldactone.
Do not take more than your recommended dosage of Generic Aldactone. If you forget to take your regularly scheduled dosage, take one as soon as you remember; however if it is nearly time for your next portion, do not double your dosage.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep away from children and pets.