Generic Aricept (donepezil) improves the function of nerve cells in the brain. Generic Aricept is one of Eisai Inc.'s best-selling drugs mainly prescribed for improving the lives of people with Alzeimer's disease.
Generic Aricept is also marketed as Aricept ODT and Donepezil.
*Aricept® is manufactured by Eisai Inc.
Aricept 5mg Pills (Generic)
Aricept 10mg Pills (Generic)
Interacciones de drogas
Generic Aricept is used to treat mild to moderate dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease. It works by preventing the breakdown of a chemical called acetylcholine. People with dementia usually have lower levels of this chemical, which is important for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning.
- Keep the tablet in its blister pack until you are ready to take the medicine. Open the package and peel or cut the backing from the tablet blister. Do not push a tablet through the backing or you may damage the tablet.
- Using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in your mouth. It will begin to dissolve right away.
- Do not swallow the tablet whole. Allow it to dissolve in your mouth without chewing.
- Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves. After the tablet dissolves completely, drink a glass of water.
Generic Aricept is usually taken at bedtime. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Generic Aricept can be taken with or without food or milk.
Take the Generic Aricept regular tablets with a full glass of water.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Generic Aricept and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds;
- painful or difficult urination;
- seizure (black-out or convulsions);
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- loss of appetite;
- muscle cramps;
- tired feeling; or
- sleep problems (insomnia).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Always read the ingredients before taking this or any other medication to ensure that there are no elements that may elicit an allergic reaction.
Generic Aricept can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Before taking Generic Aricept, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- atropine (Donnatal, and others);
- carbamazepine (Tegretol);
- clidinium (Quarzan);
- dexamethasone (Decadron);
- dicyclomine (Bentyl);
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul);
- hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Levsin, and others);
- mepenzolate (Cantil);
- methantheline (Provocholine);
- methscopolamine (Pamine), scopolamine (Transderm-Scop);
- phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton);
- phenytoin (Dilantin);
- propantheline (Pro-Banthine);
- quinidine (Cardioquin, Quinidex, Quinaglute, others);
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rifamate, Rifater);
- a fungal antibiotic such as ketoconazole (Nizoral), fluconazole (Diflucan), or itraconazole (Sporanox); or
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Generic Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), diclofenac (Generic Voltaren), diflunisal (Dolobid), Generic Etodolac (Lodine), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Orudis), ketorolac (Toradol), mefenamic acid (Ponstel), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), Generic Feldene (Feldene), and others.
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Generic Aricept.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Store Generic Aricept at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Dispose of any unused medication past the point of expiry. Keep out of reach of children and pets.